Got a question from a subscriber:
“If someone was holding a gun to your head and told you that you had 21 days to become a world-class email copywriter, what would you do?”
I love this question. I love it because when I look back at my own personal journey that’s spanned a few years already, I realize that there were so many things I wasted my time on. So many useless books that I read, and so many courses I flushed my money down the toilet with.
And I know that if I had the chance to start over, I could become good in just 2–3 days, and incredible in less than 21.
Let’s assume, for the sake of this article, that I had 3 weeks free of any responsibilities, other than eating and sleeping. Let’s assume I could lock myself away in a room with some books, some pads and pens, and a laptop.
Here’s what I would do:
- Invest in a few email copywriting courses (I personally recommend learning from guys Ben Settle, Ian Stanley, and Matt Furey.) Read through them 10x each. ~3 days
- Copy out each course by hand. ~3 days.
- Google the top 5 magazines in your market and write out, by hand, 500 headlines from the covers of these magazines ~ 1.5 days
- Go find some clickbait ads and handcopy 500 of their headlines (these make amazing email subject line fodder) ~ 1.5 days
- Choose a market and a product and write 20 emails a day (using what you learned in those courses) that sell your product. ~12 days
Well, that wasn’t so bad now, was it?
Before you embark on this challenge you’re going to want to make sure you have a ton of nootropics, coffee, and some kind of pain medicine for your writing hand because it is going to hurt.
But if you want to get good, quick, then this is what is required.
Now, you might not want to do this. You might just want to do some of this, and that’s OK. Just know that your results aren’t going to be as good.
You can do this as prescribed, or break it up into little pieces and do a bit each day. But if you want to be one of the greats, this is what you will do.
Maybe you think this will take too much time, and you’re probably right.
If you instead wanna skip this painstaking process and get some personalized instruction and feedback on your emails… then make sure you sign up for my email list. (I’ll let you know about my Email Copy Academy coaching and mentorship program that’s opening soon.)